Monday, July 6, 2009

Friends and Family

I wasn't sure how I was going to continue this blog post my US trip. Would I have anything to say that was worthwhile? Should it be topical? Should it just be what I have been doing (which it mainly was)? Should it be things on my mind? or what?

Well, I am hoping it may be some or all of those things, depending on what is going on in my head. I don't intend it to be a micro blog with just short snippets on what I have been doing just to keep it going though.

So why the title Friends and Family, well that is what last weekend was all about. On Saturday we went over for my great niece's birthday. I can't beleive she is 2 already. We popped in to see mum and dad first, and although dad appeared better than he had on Tuesday in that he was talking more whereas talking had been difficult on Tuesday, he is still very much in decline and hanging on in there.

Lunch and the afternoon though was spent at Shelby's birthday which was a BBQ at their house. It was great just to relax and be with family, seeing my sister Val, her children and now her grandchild (opps, I forgot to call her granny while I was there!). At one point I popped into the Kitchen and saw Dean (Shelby's dad) sat alone in the lounge. I thought about going and talking to him, but realised that actually he had taken himself out as he struggles with crowds, and I thought it was really nice he felt he was able to do that, and actually me intruding would be the last thing he wanted. So often in today's society we see breakdown in family life it was good to see a family enjoy being together.

Sunday we had a BBQ at our house for all the GodZone leaders (well those that could make it). Having been away for so long it was great for me to catch up with my friends. Also with the talk turning to New Wine and the fun we will have there, although having been talking to Clive on Sunday, I know I am going to miss him at New Wine this year. I really look forward to us chatting about the seminars and what we have learned etc.

After everyone had gone on Sunday, PJ and Hannah ended up in the garden playing bat and ball (for want of an expression). It was really nice to see them enjoying just playing in the garden and having fun together.

This weekend has reminded me how lucky I am to have such a great family and lots of good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment